dku2 installation on kubuntu

From: Francesco Cisotta
Subject: dku2 installation on kubuntu
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:37:19 +0100

Hi all,
after days of unsuccesful tentatives, I try asking some help in the
installation of gnokii on my Kubuntu box.

Being at the first experiences with linux, I tried to manage with the
available documentation and forum posts, and get gnokii compiled on the
system. Unfortunately, it has not been clear for me what was I expected to
do with the DKU-2 driver, and this is where I'm stalled now.

I read that two ways are available:
1) install somehow a libusb driver (I could not find any documentation about
this point)
2) recompile some kernel part. I find some howtos, but I'm stalled at the
download of a linux-source-2.6.15.tar.gz file, to be used for recompiling.
How should I do, if my kernel is '2.6.19-24-generic' (from uname -r), and no
linux-source file exists with such a version?

I'd be very very happy if someone could give me some hints to move on.

Thank you!
francesco

----------------

Up to now, I've done the following:

1) downloaded the latest  gnokii-0.6.27.tar.gz and launched: configure, make
and make install.

2) connected the 6230i phone to the USB port, through a DKU-2 cable

3) tried lsusb, that returns
        $ lsusb -d 0421:
            Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0421:0428 Nokia Mobile Phones 6230i Modem

4) tried phone identification by gnokii, through
        $ gnokii --identify
            GNOKII Version 0.6.27
            Unsupported [global] connection value "dku2libusb"
            Couldn't read /home/francesco/.gnokiirc config file.
            No connection type specified in the config file.

My .gnokiirc file is set as follows:
            port = 1
            model = 6510
            connection = dku2libusb
            and commented out the last lines about the fake phone.