Re: database transactions in smsd

From: alonso
Subject: Re: database transactions in smsd
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:59:18 -0600

On 07/17/2012 03:55 AM, Daniele Forsi wrote:
> 2012/7/17 alonso acuña:
>
>> Hello. I am having some issues with tables getting locked for a long time,
>> like 30 seconds while smsd is running alongside another program that also
>> uses transactions on the outbox table. The other program is getting stuck
> which version of smsd?
> it should be fixed in smsd 1.5.1
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnokii.git/tree/smsd/ChangeLog

What I was able to figure out is that the transaction and lock is held
on the outbox table while sending the sms. In MySQL 4.1 and earlier this
causes the entire table by locked  while in MySQL 5.0 only the
corresponding record is lock.  So I upgraded MySQL and all is ok.

I think it would be worthwhile to mention somewhere in the documention
that running the old MySQL with 2 or more smsd running and sending
messages at the same time will not give good performance as only one
message will be sent at a time while the others wait for the lock to be
released.

Thanks.