[gnokii] writephonebook command on a nokia 6303i, with various different

From: Athanasios Silis
Subject: [gnokii] writephonebook command on a nokia 6303i, with various different connections. it fails more or less with all
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 20:01:33 +0300

Hello there,
this is my first attempt to use gnokii and have not have luck with the write command. Note that I have seen in the wiki that Nokia 6303i seems to fail when writing to, but I am stuck even before that.

what I have:
slackware64 v14.0, with kernel 3.2.29.
gnokii --version = 0.6.31

I have been trying several different access methods:

$HOME/.gnokiirc
[global]
model =  6510
port = 1
connection = dku2libusb

[phone_1]
model = AT
connection = serial
port = /dev/ttyACM0

[phone_2]
model = 6510
connection = dku2libusb
port = 1

[phone_3]
model = series40
connection = dku2libusb
port = 1

[phone_4]
#to use do: ifconfig usbpn0 up , before you exec gnokii
port = usbpn0

model = series40
connection = phonet

[phone_5]
#to use do: ifconfig usbpn0 up , before you exec gnokii
port = usbpn0
model = 6510
connection = phonet

[logging]
debug = on

with [phone_1] I can identify correctly the phone over a CA-101 nokia usb cable. I can also read the phonebook contents. unfortunately trying to write a single vCard to the nokia6303i phone fails.

The vCard is the following
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
FN:Name Surname
N:Surname;Name
EMAIL;CHARSET=UTF-8;ENCODING=8BIT:address@hidden
TEL;TYPE=CELL:+10123456789
TEL;TYPE=CELL:+19876543210
END:VCARD
and the command and command output (omitting the huge log dump)
# cat testVCard.vcf | gnokii --phone 1 --writephonebook -m ME -f -v
..after a while..
Write Succeeded: memory type: ME, loc: 834, name: Name Surname, number:

Write failed (Data format is not valid.): memory type: ME, loc: 2, name: , number:
Serial device: closing device

In the end the contact seems to have been created in the phone's list, but it is empty (ie no fields such as numbers and emails have been created). I have seen they had problems writing to phonebook in the gnokii Nokia6303Config site as well.

With phone_4 configuration (phonet) and phone_5 , I receive the same error in the end of the command , but this time the 1st phonenumber HAS been saved in the phonebook ! ( i wish more would...). so it looks like there is support for basic phonebook over the "phonet" connection. Is that a correct conclusion? In such a case, how can I use "enhanced" phonebook funcctionality?

Now I am trying to get the dku2libusb to work.
I assume I have to remove the "acm" and "phonet" modules first: "modprobe -r cdc_acm , cdc_phonet , phonet" , and then

# gnokii --phone 2 --identify
GNOKII Version 0.6.31
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Config read from file /root/.gnokiirc.
phone instance config:
model = 6510
port = 1
connection = dku2libusb
initlength = default
serial_baudrate = 19200
serial_write_usleep = -1
handshake = software
require_dcd = 0
smsc_timeout = 10
rfcomm_channel = 0
sm_retry = 0
Connecting
overrun: 1010 0
Serial device: opening device USB
Ignoring extra header, type 171, length 5
Found FBUS interface
Ignoring extra header, type 171, length 5
Found FBUS interface
Ignoring extra header, type 171, length 5
Found FBUS interface
Getting model...
Message sent: 0x1b / 0x0006
00 01 00 07 01 00                               |
Message sent: 0x1b / 0x0006
00 01 00 07 01 00                               |
Message sent: 0x1b / 0x0006
00 01 00 07 01 00                               |
Serial device: closing device
Telephone interface init failed: Command timed out.
Quitting.
Command timed out.

what is going on with dku2libusband It does not work? Am I using it wrongly in some way?
Any ideas ?

Please note that with "gammu" and the "at" connection, I have managed to copy a contact along with its 1st (only) phonenumber, ie the same thing I managed with "gnokii --phone [4|5]" connections. but here I am using the phonet driver.

What is even more frustrating is that in a windows PC with nokia PC suite I have managed to copy this vCard correctly and fully to the phone. Is there a way to do the same using linux and gnokii ??

Thank you in advance for your help