[open-cobol-list] Re: feature request: implementation "IS EXTERNAL" (se

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Re: feature request: implementation "IS EXTERNAL" (semantics)
Date: Fri Nov 14 03:41:09 2003

At Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:17:31 +0100,
Thomas Biehler wrote:

> i have tested it with no success.
> (First i try our real application.
> After that i wrote the two (short) test programs
> for the demonstration of the problem)
>
> I have attached my two testprograms:
>    EXTERNALBUG.cob  which calls UPROG.cob

Gee, I misunderstood the effect of EXTERNAL.  What I did is to
declare the field as an external variable in C.  The field is
not actually defined, so the undefined reference error happened.

It seems a field with EXTERNAL should have both a declaration
and a definition.  How can I implement this?  In C, there must
be only one definition even if you compiled several modules.

Hmm, maybe we need to generate a special module for external
variables, or we need to resolve the field at run time.

Keisuke