[open-cobol-list] CVS update

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] CVS update
Date: Fri Feb 4 07:29:23 2005

CVS updated :
For "cobc --help", supply information for option "-std=".

MicroFocus extensions.
We already had -
ACCEPT .. FROM ENVIRONMENT-VALUE and
DISPLAY .. UPON ENVIRONMENT-NAME

Implement -
DISPLAY .. UPON ENVIRONMENT-VALUE  (changes environment)
ACCEPT .. FROM ARGUMENT-NUMBER
ACCEPT .. FROM ARGUMENT-VALUE
DISPLAY .. UPON ARGUMENT-NUMBER

Exact syntax/operation, see MF programming guide.

** NOTE ** In the immediate future, I will be updating CVS regularly.
It is wise to ALWAYS assume that a COMPLETE recompile of
application progs is necessary.

** INFO **
It is possible to run/test one or more CVS releases alongside an installed
stable version. (At least under Linux, should work on others) How ? ->
Let's say you have an installed OC and your CVS is in /home/open-cobol.
Typically :
> cd /home/open-cobol
> ./configure --with-db --with-lfs64
> make
NOTE - do NOT do "make install"
Now go to your test app .
> cd /home/myappsrc
> export CFLAGS="-I/home/open-cobol"
> export COB_CONFIG_DIR=/home/open-cobol/config
Now compile app progs as modules (including your "main" progs) :
> /home/open-cobol/cobc/cobc -m -std=.. MYMAIN.CBL (main prog, calls MYMODULE)
> /home/open-cobol/cobc/cobc -m -std=..   MYMODULE.CBL
etc.
Now test :
> export COB_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/myappsrc
> /home/open-cobol/bin/cobcrun MYMAIN

This works as "cobcrun" has a statically linked in version of the cobol libraries.
NOTE - you CANNOT run "make check" or the NIST suite - These require that
a "make install" has been done.
NOTE - do NOT assume that compiled app programs are compatible between versions.
They probably are not.

Roger