RE: [open-cobol-list] CVS update + 2

From: Bill Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] CVS update + 2
Date: Tue Feb 8 01:50:30 2005

Just out of curiosity, did you look at the ISO 2002
    External as "literal"
syntax?  It would seem to me that this may be a useful feature for mixed
COBOL / C applications (as COBOL is case-INSENSITIVE - and doesn't allow
special characters such as underscore as the first character) for external
data item names.  With the
   as "literal"
phrase, one could (I think) provide better support for cross-program (cross
language) external data.

This same phrase can be used on the Program-ID paragraph for non-COBOL type
program names.

    ***

Also, does your current EXTERNAL support work with code such as

   FD  Not-External.
   01  IS-External  External   Pic X(100).

This has several different rules than the similar code

   FD  File-Is-External   External.
   01  So-is-record-area   PIC X(100).