Re: [open-cobol-list] How is printing done in OC ?

From: Franklin Ankum
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] How is printing done in OC ?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:01:42 +0200

Hi Michael,

Printing in Cobol is done by writing to a sequential file. This file may be a pipe if you wish.

In unix/linux you would create a pipe with "mkfifo" then write to this file from your cobol program.
I use external variables for assigning files ("cobc -std=ibm")

export SYSOUT=sysout
mkfifo sysout
# now start a print process which reads from the pipe
lp - < sysout &

# and run your cobol program
myprog

And you can also assign your file to any device
export SYSOUT=/dev/console # for example

Regards
Franklin