Re: [open-cobol-list] User interaction preference.

From: Kevin Monceaux
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] User interaction preference.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:07:41 -0500

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 09:17:39AM -0400, John R. Culleton wrote:

> So we need an on line interactive face for whatever language we choose.
> Let's assume right now Open Cobol. We can either have a one-language
> system or a two language system. For the one-language solution we have the
> SCREEN SECTION or the positioned ACCEPT and DISPLAY statements as in e.g.,
> Ryan McFarland or many other variants. At this point Open Cobol doesn't
> provide either (or did I miss something?) And even the SCREEN SECTION
> doesn't do all that needs to be done, such as radio button selection.

I occasionally check in on the progress of both Open COBOL and TinyCOBOL.
At the present time it seems that Open COBOL does some things better than
TinyCOBOL and vise versa.  Both would benefit greatly from an embedded SQL
pre-processor.  The logical solution to the user interface problem would be
for SCREEN SECTION functionality to be added to Open COBOL.  But, until that
happens TinyCOBOL does have SCREEN SECTION functionality.  So, if one would
like to do everything with one language(COBOL) TinyCOBOL might be a good
choice for the user interface portion of the program.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX