[open-cobol-list] Open Cobol Tutorials and other things.

From: boscagarda-programming
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Open Cobol Tutorials and other things.
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:25:55 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you all very kindly for the posts. There are a lot of things that I dont know and much that I do not remember. Not to mention the fact that cobol has changed a lot since 1988.

I agree that some kind of screen input would be nice. As would using cobol for a backend to a web interface. It is actually what I am planning on using Open-Cobol for. Currently I have all of my html output coming from straight sql statements (I kid you not). This is retrieved via a php page (one page only about a paragraph). So this part should be trivial to port to cobol.

Naturally I would need a way to access mysql from open-cobol. I think one of the easiest things to do might just use stdin from a pipe. I have to learn how to do that. Though a mysql driver for open cobol would be nice.

In any case my experiments with OC so far are really nice and encouraging. Some things do not work or I am simply doing something incorrectly (the more likely situation).

I think a full fledged OC tutorial would be nice. Not to mention a manual, userguide etc. Sample code snippets (open source) would also be cool. I am working to prep a couple cobol websites just for this. One is a forum, another a wiki and another will discuss cobol facts vs myths.

I would like to actually make the forum software be pure OC. No php, python, ruby, nada. As my experiments progress I will keep yall informed. Ive been going through one of the tutorials suggested to me. I am learning a lot, but it has videos on powerpoint format that I simply cannot get to run. So I have to skip that.

Thus if anyone would like to colaborate on these things let me know. I think a cobol code repository would definitely be nice.

Holler at me whenever yens.