Re: [open-cobol-list] Request of info. on Cobol Version & Associated Dat

From: John Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Request of info. on Cobol Version & Associated Database.
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:04:02 -0400

On Thursday 12 July 2007 11:06:55 am Etta David wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
>   I wish to find out the current versions of Cobol in use and the database
> associated with cobol .
>
>   I will equally appreciate anybody who could provide me with web
> reférences concerning my request.
>
>   Regards,
>   David.

This is a very broad question.   This list deals with Open COBOL, a free COBOL
compiler that runs on desktop computers, MSWindows or Linux.   There are more
general COBOL newsgroups on the web such as comp.lang.cobol and alt.cobol.
You may get a more complete answer there. As alwasy the better yu define your
query  the more complete and useful answers you will get.

Are you asking about desktop or mainframe COBOL? Open COBOL is a desktop
program.  Like all modern COBOL it has an indexed sequential (IS) file system
option that serves many of the purposes of a DB.  AFAIK there are no built-in
hooks between Open COBOL and any DB  such MySQL etc. . But Berkeley DB is the
back end for the IS file system on Open COBOL.

I am not sure what Tiny COBOL uses for its IS file back end.
Other COBOLs I have used on manframes and superminis have had proprietary
extensions that enabled access to a particular DBMS.

--
John Culleton
http://wexfordpress.com