Re: [open-cobol-list] Stdin/stdout, was Open Cobol Tutorials and other t

From: John Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Stdin/stdout, was Open Cobol Tutorials and other things.
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:44:21 -0400

On Friday 13 April 2007 08:19:35 am Roger While wrote:
>  > I think one of the easiest things to do might just use stdin from a pipe
>
> In the current 0.33 prerelease, OC has implemented a couple
> of MF extensions -
> SELECT ...   ASSIGN TO KEYBOARD
> and
> SELECT ...   ASSIGN TO DISPLAY
>
> Both of these automatically set the file type to
> LINE SEQUENTIAL.
>
> The KEYBOARD file is set to stdin.
> The DISPLAY file is set to stdout.
> Of course you can only
> OPEN INPUT ... -> the KEYBOARD
> and
> OPEN OUPUT ... -> the DISPLAY
>
> This means that you can use a Cobol prog as a filter eg.
> (Prog as executable)
> cat something | MYCOBPROG | whatever
> or
> (Prog as module)
> cat something | cobcrun MYCOBPROG | whatever
>
> Note that this also gives CGI possibilities.
>
> Roger

> Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
> with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com

This old post raised the potential of using OC as a cgi.bin program.  I have
two questions:

1. How does this facility differ from ACCEPT/DISPLAY for cgi use?
2. Has anyone actually experimented with using OC as a cgi.bin program using
the facilities indicated above?

--
John Culleton
http://wexfordpress.com