Re: [open-cobol-list] Stdin/stdout, was Open Cobol Tutorials and other

From: Roger While
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Stdin/stdout, was Open Cobol Tutorials and other things.
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:52:13 +0200

Firstly, understand the difference between cgi use
and use as a filter.
The ACCEPT does not have an AT END :-)
Which, of course, is necessary for a filter.
With CGI, the usage is quite clear and you posted
ca: end 2005 to this effect (somewhere).
(And were answered)
In other words, these extensions are not relevant for CGI.
The point with CGI is the differentiation between
the "GET" and "POST" methods for forms.
Both can be handled in Cobol code with a test on the
standardized environment variables.

Roger

On Friday 13 April 2007 08:19:35 am Roger While wrote:
>  > I think one of the easiest things to do might just use stdin from a pipe
>
> In the current 0.33 prerelease, OC has implemented a couple
> of MF extensions -
> SELECT ...   ASSIGN TO KEYBOARD
> and
> SELECT ...   ASSIGN TO DISPLAY
>
> Both of these automatically set the file type to
> LINE SEQUENTIAL.
>
> The KEYBOARD file is set to stdin.
> The DISPLAY file is set to stdout.
> Of course you can only
> OPEN INPUT ... -> the KEYBOARD
> and
> OPEN OUPUT ... -> the DISPLAY
>
> This means that you can use a Cobol prog as a filter eg.
> (Prog as executable)
> cat something | MYCOBPROG | whatever
> or
> (Prog as module)
> cat something | cobcrun MYCOBPROG | whatever
>
> Note that this also gives CGI possibilities.
>
> Roger

> Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
> with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com

This old post raised the potential of using OC as a cgi.bin program.  I have
two questions:

1. How does this facility differ from ACCEPT/DISPLAY for cgi use?
2. Has anyone actually experimented with using OC as a cgi.bin program using
the facilities indicated above?

--
John Culleton
http://wexfordpress.com