Re: [open-cobol-list] MVS SIMULATOR

From: Davide Grandi
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] MVS SIMULATOR
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 18:11:49 +0100

Etta David ha scritto:
Greetings and Happy New Year 2008.

I wish to findout where I can buy an MVS SIMULATOR (That is a program with mainframe features like ISPF/TSO that will permit me work on my PC as if i was on a mainframe). Your response will help me alot. Regards,
 David.
There's an emulator, Hercules (http://www.conmicro.com/hercules/), and it's open source, but you must "fill" it's disk with a real operating system (either _old_ and in public domain or _more recent_ but with a licensing "umbrella").

I've read, here or in the hercules newsgroup, that you can do some CICS-alike work, on a PC, with the old Visualge for COBOL, but you must look for it on some yard sale (it's no longer sold by IBM).

From time to time on ebay pops-up some second-hand P390 (the old mainframe on a PC), but these hardware are getting very old and I don't know if they are still supported.

My best wishes for your search,

    Davide
--