Re: [open-cobol-list] My getting started document

From: David Essex
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] My getting started document
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:36:51 -0500

In order to make OC more portable, the original developers choose to generate C code (originally generated GNU assembler) and UN*X (POSIX like) as their development platform.

In theory any C compiler can be used to create a binary, as long as the run-time support libraries are available for that C compiler.

Your article presents a Cygw*n centric view and leads to the perception that the a POSIX UN*X like emulator is a requirement for OC.

While the only officially supported Wind*ws port is via Cygw*n,
unofficially there are at least two native Wind*ws ports available.
One uses MinGW (Minimalist GNU For Wind*ws) and the other uses MSVC. I've enclosed some resource links[1] to both ports.

Perhaps a better approach is to provide a general overview, with requirements and options available. And then present the details in a separate document.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.
If I have stepped on anyones toes, well sorry.

Bill Klein wrote:
Just because I announced the initial drafts in this group, I thought I would
point out that "version 1.0" of my Getting Started (for Windows users)
document is now available online at:

http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/oc_gettingstarted_windows.html or
http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/OC_GettingStarted_Windows.pdf

If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or corrections, please feel free to
send them to me off-list - or on-list if you prefer.

1) OpenCobol Wind*ws native ports
OpenCobol 1.1 VS2005 binaries
http://www.kiska.net/opencobol/
http://www.kiska.net/opencobol/1.1/