Re: [open-cobol-list] My getting started document

From: David Essex
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] My getting started document
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 13:37:45 -0500

I know that it is NOT what your article is saying, but human nature being what it is, users will likely misinterpret as Cygw*n being a requirement for OC.

There really is no such thing as a "official" way.
Just about any UN*X application will compile and run on Cygw*n with minimal changes.
So it is convenience not to support a Wind*ws native port.
This is NOT a criticism, as most native ports do require a dedicated developer.

As for the 'unofficial' way, perhaps you should try using MinGW and MSYS (Minimal SYStem providing a POSIX compatible Bourne shell environment). I think you would find is not much different, than Cygw*n, and in some ways preferable. Certainly no more difficult for a "newbie". I think perhaps less difficult.

Something you may wish to consider adding to your article.
In Wind*ws there are console and winapi applications. The default for OC is console. If you add a '-mwindows' option to the command line, GCC will automatically create a winapi application.

Bill Klein wrote:
David, (et al)
 The latest version of my document (dated March 2, 2009) and not yet
generally posted includes the following paragraph - that I *think* addresses
your issue:

"NOTE: Within the OpenCOBOL forum, there are a number of threads concerning
installing OpenCOBOL as "native" in Windows.  They seem to report varying
degrees of success (and ease of installation). This document does NOT
address that approach.  Although it may (eventually) be the best way to go
for existing Windows-only users, it seems to me that most of the help and
information for OpenCOBOL assumes a Linux or UNIX environment.  This
document gets you going in such an environment (Cygwin) and I recommend it
for the "new" OpenCOBOL user.  However, as usual "your mileage may vary"! If
you want to go with a native Windows OpenCOBOL environment, check out the
OpenCOBOL forum for hints and tips on installation and use."

Certainly, if someone has the "energy" (and endurance" to provide comparable
information for the other approaches, I would be happy to reference such.
However, given the number of problems I experienced trying to do the
"official" way, I think that I would NOT suggest a "newbie" try an
unofficial way.  As noted in the document, I also don't address any of the
"real user" (after initial getting started) issues such as configuring for
MF or IBM conversions or tuning for production work.

I may get around to doing some of this (eventually).  These certainly ARE
real topics of interest. However, they are simply beyond my initial
document.