Re: [open-cobol-list] OC on Win XP

From: John Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] OC on Win XP
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:25:20 -0500

On Sunday 31 January 2010 02:03:48 David Essex wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 January 2010 11:34:07 John Culleton wrote:
> >> I have OC on my Linux partition. I want to set it up on
> >> my Win XP partition for validation on that platform. I know there is
> >> cygwin and mingw as potential sub hosts.  Which in your opinion is more
> >> suitable, easier install etc. for an OC installation
> >
> > The mingw.org site has been pirated. It now sells real estate. So cygwin
> > is the only current choice.
>
> Have you looked at the VC version of OC [1].
>
> In any case, the MinGW site is hosted on SF [2], so only the DSN
> (mingw.org) is not working. You can still download the files you require.
>
> Some hints on building OC:
>
> You can download VB-ISAM (version 2), and PDCurses (version 2.4), MinGW
> binaries at the TC download area [3]. The GMP libraries can be found
> here [4].
>
> To configure and build OC on MinGW you will need to install MSYS.
>
> Anyway, hope this helps.
>
> 1) OpenCOBOL 1.1 binaries - using VC
> http://www.kiska.net/opencobol/
>
> 2) MinGW on SF
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/
>
> 3) TC on SF
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tiny-cobol/files/
>
> 4) GMP for Windows Platform
> http://cs.nyu.edu/exact/core/gmp/

OK I opened door number 1 and downloaded/ installed the precompiled "native"
version provided by Sergey. But first I downloaded/installed XPS2 PSDK to get
Microsoft's c compiler. I discovered the following interesting things:
1. cobc needs default.conf and default.conf is described as being in
c:\OpenCobol\config\
ergo Sergey's product needs to be unzipped at the c:\ level.
2. Windows can't find cobc.exe at that location either. So either cobc needs to
be fully qualified
c:\OpenCobol\cobc
or else the compilation needs to happen in the \Open\Cobol directory.
I tried both ways.
3. Since this is a native Windows app I am uncertain how parameters are
handled. is it
cobc -x progname.cbl
or
cobc /x progname.cbl
or something else?
4. No matter how I twist and turn this error message comes forth:
cl is not a program or a bat file.

I thought it sounded too easy.

I have also downloaded Bill Klein's screed on installing OC on windows.  I'll
try that on Monday.

--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"