Re: [open-cobol-list] Self supporting programs

From: Brian Tiffin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Self supporting programs
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:23:38 -0400

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:05:33 -0400, john Culleton <address@hidden> wrote:

I would like to write COBOL programs at then put them in the
cgi-bin directory of my web site. But current versions of Open
Cobol, Tiny Cobol etc. require that I install a Cobol system on
the executing computer and I don't have authority for that. What
I need is something like a Starkit for Tcl/Tk, a self contained
Linux executable that needs no other support on the hosting
computer. This capability would allow me to put Cobol programs on
my hosted web site (Doteasy.com is the host.)

Similarly, a packaged executable for Windows machines would allow
me to distribute self contained executables to other users.

John, you can use LD_RUN_PATH, IF you have shell access.

See http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/#how-do-i-use-ld-run-path-with-opencobol and http://www.opencobol.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&topic_id=1245&forum=1 for some details.

Proper use of LD_RUN_PATH and you get a compiler that can be installed sans root privileges, and as a bonus any compiled CGI programs also benefit from the compiler's LD_RUN_PATH so you can have locally installed libraries with the CGI applications. This is assuming you are allowed in the terms of service by your hosting service. Dreamhost is ok with this as long as there are no TCP/IP servers running outside of their own Apache setup.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brian