Re: [open-cobol-list] IS PUBLIC, IS PRIVATE, enhanced COPY

From: Wim Niemans
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] IS PUBLIC, IS PRIVATE, enhanced COPY
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 01:36:13 +0200

Patrick,

respect for your initiatives ! Though the basis to do so by adding trendy words
isn't the right argument.

One aspect, as others emphasized, of the use of Cobol is the language being
standard.
Another aspect, to my opinion, is that its origin is some real different from
younger languages.
To make that clear I like to speak about Cobol Text as opposed to (java or C)
Source Code.

Most OO features of modern languages, at least the more advanced ones, are
often implemented by a pre-processor that processes so-called @ notations.
It is common to generate documentation from these @ notations. I am not aware
that such is ever done for Cobol (with a reason ;-)).
Than, you have to realize that these modern languages did eliminate the
persistence layer a system should have.
Cobol is build around such persistence layer with OS native features.

Forking, neutral, friendly or hostile, well, give it a try.
And when you are at it, add some decent features, like a built-in CGI gateway
or a interface to a messaging-bus.

Wim

Op 27 jun. 2013, om 00:34 heeft Patrick het volgende geschreven: