[open-cobol-list] What return value makes an exception an exception

From: Patrick
Subject: [open-cobol-list] What return value makes an exception an exception
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 09:51:04 -0400

Hi Everyone

I am trying to write a cross platform RS232 application. I am accessing configuration structs on Linux and Windows.

There are C code examples for me to use.

If there is a return value less then 0 it is an error, typically it's -1

In this particular situation I believe all the return values are 0 or -1 but with some libraries a number greater then 0 might not always be an error and that != 0 will not always be a valid indication that an error has occurred or not.

Are Cobol exceptions generated by a non zero return value or a number less then zero or perhaps by something else?

I could do all the error checking on the C side of things but it might be much more pleasant to do all argument validation and error handling on Cobol side.

Thanks-Patrick