Re: [open-cobol-list] Daydreaming about another language to emit

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Daydreaming about another language to emit
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 10:15:52 -0400

Only practical intermediate language would be C++.

That would allow us to introduce OO in the future.

Hi Vince

Yes,  I forgot to bring up OO.

Practical or not, perhaps we could chat about requirements??

Pascal, Ada and D all bring OO as well.

My main motivation for even discussing other languages is the difficulty of bringing in other languages into Cobol in a Cobol-like way.

Perhaps a separate compiler that translated Tidy Cobol looking code into Cobol + many CALL statements would be a neat project as well.

Just a rough fictional example:

GTK-START
  WIDGETS-START
  CREATE window TITLE is "Hello World" SET TOP-LEVEL
  WIDGETS-END

EXEC-GTK
  SHOW window
END-GTK