Re: [open-cobol-list] Daydreaming about another language to emit

From: john Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Daydreaming about another language to emit
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 10:56:24 -0400

On Fri, 04 Oct 2013 10:15:52 -0400
Patrick <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Only practical intermediate language would be C++.
> >
> > That would allow us to introduce OO in the future.
> >

> Hi Vince
>
> Yes,  I forgot to bring up OO.
>
> Practical or not, perhaps we could chat about requirements??
>
> Pascal, Ada and D all bring OO as well.
>
> My main motivation for even discussing other languages is the
> difficulty of bringing in other languages into Cobol in a Cobol-like
> way.
>
> Perhaps a separate compiler that translated Tidy Cobol looking code
> into Cobol + many CALL statements would be a neat project as well.
>
> Just a rough fictional example:
>
> GTK-START
>    WIDGETS-START
>    CREATE window TITLE is "Hello World" SET TOP-LEVEL
>    WIDGETS-END
>
> EXEC-GTK
>    SHOW window
> END-GTK
>

> This could end up
>

> CALL "gtk this and that'
>
> CALL "gtk this and that'
>
> CALL "gtk this and that' etc...
>

> -Patrick

A long long time ago my Honeywell 110 had two COBOL compilers. One ran
in 16k and the other in 8k. The smaller one generated code that
consisted entirely of ""call" statements to precompiled machine language
functions.

I would like to see a COBOL compiler written entirely in COBOL. Now
that would be an accomplishment.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press