Re: [open-cobol-list] Daydreaming about another language to emit

From: Sergey Kashyrin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Daydreaming about another language to emit
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 11:46:02 -0400

:-)

Java will never make COBOL people happy :-)
It does not have GO TO statement !

Cheers,
SK

On 10/5/2013 11:14 AM, Brian Tiffin wrote:
I'll just pipe up a little.

Patrick; because of Sergey's C++ emit implementation, it'll be pretty
easy now to figure out how to emit other code.  Java might make some
people happy.

I'm actually amazed how readable GNU Cobol machine generated C is.
Beats Vala and Algol68g (two other C emit systems) hands down.

Charles;   LLVM.  We do clang.  Build compiler with clang, generated
code compiled with clang.  All worked first try.  One small compiler
switch change meant ALL the make check passes as well.
http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/#does-opencobol-work-with-llvm

When we implement --with-guile as a ./configure option I'd like to
implement the internals with EXEC GUILE
END-EXEC

(we have ocesql for 'code method' scaffolding now, so yayys)

Once that is in place, along with having Guiles' LISP and ECMAScript
(and bf, but I doubt an auditor would appreciate decoding bf in a
financial application) we'll have a framework to implement just about
any

EXEC engine ... END-EXEC

paragraphs that we can imagine.

Patrick; keep thinking along these lines.  There may well be a GNU
Cobol -> Node.js emitter someday.  But for the now, C and C++ are
options, and once FUNCTION-ID is ubiquitous, a lot of need for CALL
can be removed as well.

Things like

MOVE FUNCTION PASCAL-SUB(args) TO COBOL-VAR

is just over the horizon.

And I'll ditto VBISAM. I'd like to pester Trevor to see if he'd be up
for GNU-ification  of VBISAM, and then let it loose on the world as
well, released along with GNU Cobol source tree.

Cheers,
Brian