Re: [open-cobol-list] open-cobol : full 85 support : bounty ...

From: Alan Jump
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] open-cobol : full 85 support : bounty ...
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 11:32:01 -0800

Per their website, Tiny Cobol hasn't been maintained in several years. That makes me leery of relying on it for anything other than experimentation.

The last time I installed GNU Cobol v2.0 on a system and ran <tt>make check</tt> (about three weeks ago), all tests passed. Perhaps the test suite doesn't cover ALL of the COBOL 85 standards, but it's close enough for my work.

- -
Alan Jump
address@hidden

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 11:01 AM, john Culleton <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:13:18 +0530
Mayuresh Kathe <address@hidden> wrote:

> hello,
>
> i am initiating a personal project to improve
> conditions in rural india by effecting social
> change via technology. for the same, i have
> chosen to go ahead with cobol-85 due to it's
> impressive record-oriented data manipulation
> abilities.
>
> it being a self-funded effort, i can't afford
> to go for big iron stuff from ibm, etc.
> hence, i would prefer to go with open-cobol
> running under a highly modified linux system.
>
> i have come to realize that open-cobol does not
> yet have full support for the cobol-85 standard.
> who be the right person to communicate with
> regarding raising a bounty to bring in full
> cobol-85 support to open-cobol?
>
> do write back at the earliest.
>
> i am travelling and hence have intermittent
> network access, please do not feel let down if
> i don't respond immediately, will do so as soon
> as i get back to my operating base in bombay.
>
> best regards,
>
> ~mayuresh

> Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain
> Hosting http://www.doteasy.com

Consider Tiny Cobol. It passes most of the tests
for COBOL 85. It lacks some advanced features that
are included in Open Cobol. It also includes a c
language program that links to TCL/TK gui pages.

I too would like to know what parts of COBOL-85
are not covered by Open COBOL.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press