gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] PPS MID 52 (0x34) working?

From: Alexander Carver
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] PPS MID 52 (0x34) working?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 10:48:42 -0700

On 6/5/2012 00:52, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Tomalak!

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 04:20:44 +0100
"Tomalak Geret'kal"<address@hidden>  wrote:

On 04/06/2012 23:33, Gary E. Miller wrote:
With MID 52 on, my offset wanders +/-40ms.  With MID 52 off, the
wander is reduced to about +/-10ms.
Big deal.  Your PPS should be just a few micro Sec jitter, thus the
uselessness of the MID 52.

Just be sure your NMEA is running faster than 4800, preferably
38,400 or better.
"Big deal"? For serious, industrial applications, 10ms is a
HUGE deal.

EXACTLY my point!  He should be using real PPS and then getting
a few micro Sec of jitter.  Since the guy said he HAS real PPS
this is what he should focus on.  MID 52 is a red herring.

I _DO_ have real PPS working but not through gpsd, only through the PPS/ATOM driver in ntpd. The sparc serial driver does not permit double access to the serial port (one to read the TX/RX data and the second to read DCD). Anything that requires double access (gpsd, ntpd's NMEA driver, etc.) will fail to see the PPS. The current setup brings the single GPS receiver to two serial ports. Serial port A provides TX/RX access to get to the GPS data. Serial port B allows the use of the PPS via DCD. The system has ntpd configured to read the GPS time via gpsd on SHM(0) and reads the PPS ticks via the ATOM driver attached to serial port B. SHM(1) is ignored because it isn't populated by gpsd (no PPS via DCD).

I can NOT get gpsd to see the PPS signal on the same serial port as its data because the serial driver just doesn't allow it. Because of that, MID 52 isn't a red herring. As far as gpsd is concerned, the serial driver issue means I have no PPS signal via DCD (ntpd has it as I mentioned above and that's a separate thing) so therefore MID 52 technically applies by your earlier statement. The reality, however, is that it makes things worse for the data present in SHM(0) though I don't understand why.

With MID 52 enabled, the jitter in SHM(0) is 15-20ms as reported by ntpd. With MID 52 disabled, the jitter is less than 10 ms and typically less than 5ms (this increases if the satellite constellation configuration is suboptimal or I lose signal).