gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] gpsd time issues

From: Simon Mott
Subject: [gpsd-users] gpsd time issues
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 15:58:55 +0100

Hello All,

I am trying to set up a GPS tracker using the recently released Raspberry Pi (raspi for short) which is basically a low powered computer running Debian Linux.  The raspi doesn't have any kind of on board timekeeping device so the time has to be set on each boot and for what I am trying to do, I cant always guarantee there will be a network connection to use NTP.

Initially I had hopes of using gpsd's JSON protocol to get the time from whatever satellites my GPS receiver could see however I seem to have hit an unforeseen problem...

If I connect to gpsd via telnet and issue:

?WATCH={"enable":true}
and then
?POLL;

in the TPV section, I get my time reported as:

      ["time"]=>
      string(24) "1992-11-01T14:50:54.000Z"

Whilst the time is correct, the date is waayy off.  My raspi is currently running gpsd v3.6.

The strange thing is, if I use the same GPS receiver and plug it into my desktop, which is currently using gpsd v2.95, I get the time reported as an epoch "timestamp" and when you check out the timestamp, it is infact the correct date and time.

Does anyone know of a reason that I would have the date reporting wrongly?  (My raspi currently DOES know the correct date as it is on my network using an NTP server.)

Help would be much appreciated...

Thanks