gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd time issues

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd time issues
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:58:33 -0700

Yo Simon!

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 15:58:55 +0100
Simon Mott <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to set up a GPS tracker using the recently released
> Raspberry Pi (raspi for short)

Cool.

> in the TPV section, I get my time reported as:
>
>       ["time"]=>
>       string(24) "1992-11-01T14:50:54.000Z"

Yup, The protocol for the communications from the GPS satellites to the
GPS receiver only send the year infrequently.  The sats mostly send the
GPS week, which is modulo 1024.

It just takes a while before the GPS figures out what the current year
is an then tells gpsd about it.  So be patient and the time will
eventually correct itself.

> The strange thing is, if I use the same GPS receiver and plug it into
> my desktop, which is currently using gpsd v2.95, I get the time
> reported as an epoch "timestamp" and when you check out the
> timestamp, it is infact the correct date and time.

Could be either because the desktop already knew the current year, or
you caught the GPS stream after it figured out the current year.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588