gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Polling for GPS data using python3 API

From: pisymbol .
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Polling for GPS data using python3 API
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 15:50:58 -0400

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 3:49 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo pisymbol!

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 15:44:28 -0400
"pisymbol ." <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > I'm using an Ubuntu 16.04 runtime with gpsd==3.9 Python3 module.
> >
> > Uh, the gpsd 3.9 module was release 2013-05-01.  A lot has changed
> > since then.  3.19 is the current version.  We can't support ancient
> > software...
>
> Good catch. Had no idea. Let me upgrade with pip and try again.

pip is your problem, not your solution.  We just became aware that
pip is serving up that ancient version and are trying to get it
fixed.

That is not good. pip is the official way to distribute modules, particularly on an embedded platform where compilation from scratch is very painful.

You should install the entire gpsd package, not just the
ancient python module.

gpsd is on 3.15-build1 which doesn't seem so bad, right?

-aps