Re: Geiser vs. guile-mode?

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: Geiser vs. guile-mode?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 19:01:37 -0500

Hi Jose,

 ---- On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 17:50:05 -0500 Jose A. Ortega Ruiz <address@hidden>
wrote ----
 > On Tue, Feb 18 2020, sirgazil wrote:
 >
 > > 2. Immediate availability of new symbols after importing a module.
 >
 > I'm not sure what you mean here by "importing a module".  Loading or
 > compiling a given module makes transitively availabe all the symbols in
 > modules it imports, provided you're in the context of a module where
 > they're visible.  If you mean automatically loading a module when you
 > open its file in emacs, that's just
 >
 >     (add-hook 'geiser-mode-hook #'geiser-compile-current-buffer)
 >
 > But possibly you mean something else?

By importing a module I mean adding it to (use-modules ...) while working on a
Guile Scheme file.

But now that you mention opening a file, I think the complete behavior I would
expect would be that doing the following,

1. Visit path/to/file.scm
2. M-x run-guile

would make symbols of all existing modules in (use-modules ...) to become
available for autocomplete, autodoc, etc. And

3. Add more modules to (use-modules ...) during my work

would also make the symbols of the new modules available for autocomplete, etc.

Currently, I have to evaluate the buffer manually (C-c C-b) for these things to
happen.