Re: Is it possible to write program only in Guile?

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Re: Is it possible to write program only in Guile?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 09:44:35 -0400

On Wed, 18 Oct 2023, Marc Chantreux <mc@unistra.fr> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I don't get the difference between this
>
>>  2. The program is written in Guile.  It can access C routines with the
>>  foreign function interface (FFI). …
>
> and this:
>
>> There is a third way that I personally use.  I use the FFI to make
>> bindings of the public interface of a low-level C library I work on.

In my case, the library is written in C and I make bindings for it.  So
this is closer to the first model, like Gnu Makefile.  But it is not
meant for users scripting, but developers scripting.

> i choose the strategy 2 using the shebang described here
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Running-Guile-Scripts.html
>
> the only annoyance I have occurs the first time a user runs the script:
> he gets this message
>
>       ;;; note: auto-compilation is enabled, set GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
>       ;;;       or pass the --no-auto-compile argument to disable.
>
> would be nice to have a flag to handle it the other way
>
>       #!/usr/local/bin/guile -s --silent-auto-compilation
>       !#
>
> Did I miss something?

I always have this shebang now in my Guile scripts (might not work on
fedora because the guile binary is guile3):

#!/bin/sh
#-*-Scheme-*-
exec guile --no-auto-compile -e main -s "$0" "$@"
!#