Re: Is it possible to write program only in Guile?

From: wolf
Subject: Re: Is it possible to write program only in Guile?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 13:18:14 +0200

On 2023-10-19 06:52:40 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 10:43:25AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > CToID <funk443@yandex.com> writes:
> >
> > > How do I distribute Guile programs to somebody who doesn't have Guile
> > > installed on their system?  It does not seem like Guile compiler is
> > > able to produce a standalone executable.
> >
> > The same way you distribute Java programs, python programs and perl
> > programs.  You ask they they install the langauge environment as part of
> > your instructions
>
> And -- at the end of the day -- C programs: libc (or equivalent) and
> the runtime aren't trivial either. Unless you are doing embedded stuff.
>
> In Linux, for example, a "C executable" (a binary compiled from C)
> isn't that different from a shell script, if you squint. While in
> a shell script you have that shebang line stating "I want to be
> interpreted by /bin/foo", the executable says "I want to be loaded
> by /lib/ld-linux.so" (the dynamic loader) or something similar.

Most of the time you would do static binary with musl as a libc.  That way (and
utilizing static libraries) you can produce *very* portable native programs.
There of course are limitations, but often it works quite well.

> Actually, AFAIK, the Guile compiler compiles down to dynamic objects
> these days. But you need that pesky runtime...
>
> It's turtles all the way down :-)
>
> Cheers
> --

There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.