guix-devel

Re: nesting with-imported-modules

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: nesting with-imported-modules
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 15:07:09 +0100

Hello!

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> it seems that it is impossible to nest with-imported-modules.  A gexp
> that is wrapped in multiple layers of with-imported-modules won’t depend
> on the list of all mentioned modules but only on the outermost.
>
> This is because with-imported-modules sets the current-imported-modules
> parameter without checking if the parameter already has a value.
>
> Should nesting be supported?  It seems useful.

Is it?  :-)

My impression is that one would always write:

  (with-imported-modules … #~(…))

or possibly combining multiple expressions:

  (define e1 (with-imported-modules … #~(…)))
  (define e2 (with-imported-modules … #~(… #$e1 …)))

in which case modules are appended.

I couldn’t think of a use case where one would literally write:

  (with-imported-modules …
    (with-imported-modules …
      #~(…)))

Perhaps I’m missing some pattern where it could be useful though?

Thanks,
Ludo’.