guix-devel

Re: Improving the translation process

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Improving the translation process
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 14:46:01 +0100

On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 08:00:31AM -0500, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> For maintainers: once in place, we won't need to manually generate tarballs
> and will be able to have more frequent updates.

Please go forward with Weblate then unless someone opposes.  Should we
ask the TP team what they think about hosting such a setup?  I’m
afraid I won’t help with the setup, but I would be thankful for more
current translations and am waiting to upload an almost complete (but
not almost finished) German translation.  Proofreading and fixing
errors in the English manual still needs to be done.

> Even if you are technically inclined, there is a cost to pay in learning the
> process to register at the TP, dodge the "do I need to sign a waiver?"
> question, get the file, know what to do with it, carefully read the page
> about the bot to know how to send it. Compare to weblate, where you need to
> register in a more familiar way, can edit online or offline (with a download
> and an upload button).

Well, the cost is mostly sending an email to the TP team to be told
what to do.  Although yes, Web uploads are more sensible than email.
Javascript isn’t sensible, but it’s not important.

> And I disagree you need to be technically inclined to translate guix: you
> don't need to when translating package descriptions (if you translate music
> software, you'll need to know what a fourrier transform is, and knowing
> computers won't help you there). You could also simply want to fix a typo (or
> a bunch of them ^^").

Yes, you are right.  I suppose people will find the
download button if they want it.

> Maybe we don't need all these features, but it would also give translators a
> way to communicate and coordinate (more than one person on a project and
> language pair). Conversations are archived and linked to a specific string so
> others can find it when they want to translate.

I agree, this is an advantage.

> Le 6 février 2020 16:41:04 GMT-05:00, "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)"
> <address@hidden> a écrit :
> >I think the Translation Project mailing lists are a good place to
> >discuss translations and they should be recommended.  I am thankful to
> >the German TP team’s Mario Blättermann for introducing me to the TP’s
> >way of working and giving help.  Also it is good to look at the PO
> >files collection at the TP to see how some word was translated in
> >other software.

I believe the TP mailing list could still be mentioned in the manual
or on the Weblate server as a place to discuss with other teams
outside Guix.  Unless the TP team decides to adopt Weblate or similar.

Regards,
Florian