guix-devel

Re: Improving the translation process

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Improving the translation process
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 22:50:13 +0100

Hello!

Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> skribis:

> This new process would allow for daily or weekly updates of
> translations, which fits better with our rolling-release model and
> will help translators of the manual do work on a regular basis instead
> of per-release. The interface is way more understandable for newcomers
> who will quickly understand how to contribute. The downside is, as
> always, more fragmentation in the l10n community esp. if we go for our
> own instance.

The first two arguments are very compelling to me.

The counter-argument, I don’t know; in practice, it seems that Guix
translators are mostly involved with Guix, no?

I don’t know Weblate but if it works for you translators and doesn’t
require us maintainers (well, me!) to open a JS-enabled browser and
click through, I’m all for it.  :-)

BTW, in the meantime, would you feel like uploading a tarball to the TP
so we can give translators some time to start updating everything?

Thanks,
Ludo’.