guix-devel

Re: Guix size reduction work group

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Guix size reduction work group
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 09:09:57 +0100

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

>> Say FOO has BAR in its closure, but not in the explicit inputs, how can
>> I figure out which of the indirect inputs drags BAR in?
>
> I do not understand what you are looking for, but there is already:
>
>    guix graph -t reverse-package
>     guix graph -t reverse-bag

Yes, but this produces way too big a graph, which was my point below.

> Maybe something more dynamic using 'd3.js' or similar to view *big*
> graphs could help.

Indeed!

> The first step seems to list what operations and filtering is missing.

I'm not sure what d3.js can do, but I can think of the following:

- The ability to "hide" nodes and all their edges by making them
  translucent (so that they can be unhidden).

- Hide/show all nodes inside the mouse rectangular selection.

- Hide/show all nodes matching some text.

- Close the current selection, that is, if some intermediary nodes are
  hidden for the currently showing nodes, show them.

> You could propose such feature to the Guix Data Service.
> For example, on this webpage [1], the history of all the Git package
> in Guix is shown. The closure size could be reported.
>
> [1] http://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/git

This is a great idea!  Christopher, what do you think?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/