guix-devel

Re: Guix size reduction work group

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix size reduction work group
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 15:20:28 +0100

Hi,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> Shall we start a work group to fix the issue?
>>>
>>> - Write a blog article to explain the issue and a detailed process on
>>>   how to fix it.  (Embed it to the manual.)
>>
>> The “Submitting Patches” section mentions closure size specifically.  Is
>> there anything you think we should add there?
>
> It does not give much details, e.g. the ones that Julien mentioned.
> Also I don't think `guix size' is enough, see below.

‘guix size’ is a profiler, so when one is looking for ways to optimize
the size of package closures, it’s a good tool.

A graphical and interactive rendering would surely be an improvement,
but honestly, I don’t think that’s what’s preventing us from reducing
the size of our packages.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.