guix-devel

Re: Towards reproducibly Jupyter notebooks with Guix-Jupyter

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Towards reproducibly Jupyter notebooks with Guix-Jupyter
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 20:48:32 +0100

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 20:39, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:
> zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Maybe we can help them show up properly in guix search results, like
> >> adding what could be missing in description.
> >
> > Hum? I am not convinced that something is missing in the
> > description... I mean "guix search jupyter kernel | less" does already
> > the job, IMHO.
> > What should be missing is some convention in the naming scheme; and it
> > seems easier to force a convention when all the same related packages
> > live in the same file.
>
> The name r-irkernel follows the R package convention; a similar reason
> applies to python-ipykernel and ruby-iruby.

Yes, I know. :-)
Well, "it seems easier to force a convention when all the same related
packages live in the same file" so the current convention is the
cran.scm, ruby.scm or python.scm one. And I was suggesting to move the
packages related to Jupyter to its own module using the convention
'jupyter-' convention, e.g., 'jupyter-irkernel'. And even a more
uniformized naming scheme between all the kernels. As I said, I do not
know if it is a good idea or not. :-)

Cheers,
simon