guix-devel

Re: February update on data.guix.gnu.org and the Guix Data Service

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: February update on data.guix.gnu.org and the Guix Data Service
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 20:24:44 +0000

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Christopher Baines <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I forget exactly when, but recently I've been trying to revive the patch
>> review setup I was working on around a year ago [6]. I've setup an
>> instance of the Guix Data Service for this [7] (separate to the
>> data.guix.gnu.org one). I might try and have that instance of the Guix
>> Data Service process all the branches in the Guix git repository, now
>> that data.guix.gnu.org doesn't do that.
>>
>> 6: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-02/msg00089.html
>> 7: https://guix-patches-data.cbaines.net/
>
> This is great!
> So how do we use it?
> I tried clicking on series-2472, then "Latest processed revision", then
> "View cgit".
> Is it how it's supposed to be done?
>
> I'm guessing the "series-N" naming is temporary, as it would be nice to
> have commit / email title instead.  What does the number refer to?

I've been looking at Patchwork for pulling together patch series, it
should link to the Guix Data Service comparison. For example, this is a
series [1]. The N in series-N is the Patchwork series number.

1: https://patchwork.cbaines.net/project/guix-patches/list/?series=3022

The individual patches in the series have checks, these are used to link
off to Laminar for the job, cgit for the Git branch, and the Guix Data
Service for the comparison, [2] for example.

2: https://patchwork.cbaines.net/patch/20433/

> Side question: I'd like to know if some package substitute is available,
> say MAME:
>
> http://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/mame
>
> If go to
>
> http://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/3dd311e3a059131ef245417106d4fb659222ef3c/package/mame/0.218
>
> I see it is scheduled.  If I click on "Scheduled" I end up here:
>
> http://data.guix.gnu.org/build-server/1/build?derivation_file_name=/gnu/store/7aqmbfjwm0hiy1kviijj7fc9wqp71mnw-mame-0.218.drv
>
> There is a timestamp: 2020-02-05T21:59:55
> Does this mean it's been 13 days since the schedule?  That's odd.

The data about builds is still incomplete. I'm still working on querying
Cuirass to find out about builds, as well as getting Cuirass to push
data to the Guix Data Service so that the information on builds in the
Guix Data Service is up to date.

> Back to the
> http://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/mame page, I
> don't really understand what the first version means.  If I click on the
> latest date, I end up here:
>
> http://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/3dd311e3a059131ef245417106d4fb659222ef3c
>
> This is Guix, not MAME, right?  I wonder why we display this here, I
> find it a bit confusing.  I think the version table should explicitly
> mention that this is the Guix revision, not that of the package
> (assuming I understood correctly).

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to on that page when you say
"first version" or "latest date", but what this page is meant to show is
how the version of the package on the master branch changes over
time.

Each row of the table represents a time period, the From column links to
the Guix revision at the start of the period, and the "To" column links
to the Guix revision at the end of that period. The Version column gives
the package version for that period.

I realise the links in the the From and To columns aren't
intuitive. You're saying there's the possibility of confusing the Guix
revision and MAME releases here, right?

> Anyways, as usual thanks for the fantastic job!

You're welcome, thanks for taking a look :)

Chris