guix-devel

Re: Packaging UCSC

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Packaging UCSC
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 10:12:28 +0100

Hi,

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Pjotr,
>
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 19:22, Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Anyone got UCSC running with Guix? May be easier than Galaxy which is
>> also on the books at some point.

Just a curiosity: I'm completely ignorant on this tools but are UCSC
Genome Browser and Galaxy in the same category?

AFAIU UCSC Genome Browser in "just" a browser [1] while Galaxy is a
"workflow management system" [2] (GWL is missing, and that _is_ the
solution to the workflow problem space :-) )

Is Galaxy also capable of genome browsing?

> You are talking about that [1], right?
> But is it free software?

Unfortunately not

> I am not able to find the license and [2] is
> not very helpful...
>
> [1] http://hgdownload.soe.ucsc.edu/downloads.html#source_downloads

I know it's not a proper license attribution, but the very first
sentence in "Source and utilities downloads" states:

The source for the Genome Browser, Blat, liftOver and other utilities is
free for non-profit academic research and for personal use. For
information on commercial licensing, see the Genome Browser and Blat
licensing requirements. The source and executables for several of these
products can be downloaded or purchased from our online store.

To download the source code you have to buy it
https://genome-store.ucsc.edu/
and on checkout there is this option:

During checkout, non-profit academic users will be given the option to
declare that they are not using the products commercially and qualify
for a free license.

Source code is free like free beer.

> [2] http://genome.ucsc.edu/license/

This page also points to the EULA