guix-devel

Re: should auto updaters be disabled?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: should auto updaters be disabled?
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 14:47:27 -0500

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:14:19PM +0530, Arun Isaac wrote:
> I agree that auto updaters should be disabled where applicable. But,
> ideally, like you said, this should be implemented upstream as a
> configuration option we can set at build time.

I also agree we should make an effort to disable these features, because
they can confuse users about how to update software from Guix and also
don't offer the "binary -> source" transparency that makes Guix so
amazing.

And I agree that it would be great if it was configurable in the
upstream source, but we could also patch it out ourselves if upstream is
not interested.

For example, we build Syncthing with the '-no-upgrade' option which
disables auto-upgrade functionality at build time.