guix-devel

Hurd bootstrap breaks guix building binutils-boot0@2.34

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Hurd bootstrap breaks guix building binutils-boot0@2.34
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 10:36:15 +0100

Hi!

I have been looking at the recent work of Efraim and others wrt the Hurd
bootstrap.  On the Hurd, make-boot0 v4.3 did not work for me so I
reverted to make-boot0 v4.1 for now.  Now I'm stuck on building
binutils-boot0

    ./pre-inst-env guix build -e '(@@ (gnu packages commencement)
binutils-boot0)'

It almost fully builds but fails with this error

    phase `compress-documentation' succeeded after 0.4 seconds
    error: cannot kill processes for uid `999': Operation not permitted
    guix build: error: cannot kill processes for uid `999': failed with exit
code 1

after which my Hurd setup is broken; I haven't been able to build a new
package and had to reinstall my Hurd VM.  This error is reproducible for
me however: I tried again and broke my Hurd setup in exact the same way.
Any ideas what may be going wrong and how to fix this?

I am now looking to revert bootstrap-guile to v2.0
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-09/msg00106.html)
and possibly binutils-boot0 to v2.32.

Find my notes attached for how I am setting up Hurd development for Guix.

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ® http://AvatarAcademy.com