guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:05:28 +0200

Hi

MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me> writes:

[...]

>> Not needing to register yet another account for one-off contributions
>> is an argument that kills all the forges, sadly :)
>>
> With Sourcehut you can contribute without an account.

Because they use an email based patch send/review workflow :-)

In other words: you can contribute to a SourceHut hosted project with
patches (or just with comments to patches) because everyone can send an
email to an email address provided by the project maintainer(s).

> There is also https://forgefed.org/ which is for federated forges using
> activitypub. So you can have one account for all forges that
> federate. :D

Interesting project, for now the supported (implementations) are:

- Vervis is the reference implementation of ForgeFed. It serves as a demo
platform for testing the protocol and new features.

- Forgejo is implementing federation.

- Pagure has an unmaintained ForgeFed plugin.

(via https://forgefed.org/)

Funny thing is that on the main Vervis instance
(https://vervis.peers.community/browse) they say: «NOTE: Federation is
disabled on this instance!»

Let's say this federation project is stil in early alpha... and probably
we will never see an implementation in GitHub: WDYT?!? :-O

Anyway, since the SourceHut patch management medium is email, it's
federated by default.

Happy hacking! Gio'

[...]

--