Re: [Feature Request] do comsub with builtins/functions in current env

From: konsolebox
Subject: Re: [Feature Request] do comsub with builtins/functions in current env
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 06:55:42 +0000

On Sun, Oct 9, 2022 at 4:46 PM Akbarkhon Variskhanov
<akbarkhon.variskhanov@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd really like to see Bash not create a subshell for command
> substitutions involving built-ins and functions.

Practically not a fan of it because it has to examine the command,
calculate and make sure it doesn't make changes in the calling shell
that $() shouldn't.  This involves commands that may be functions.  I
also don't like changing `$()`'s behavior through a flag as it will
now be a factor to consider when reading code.

I suggested a solution instead with another syntax.  See
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2021-04/msg00204.html.

--
konsolebox