Re: [Feature Request] do comsub with builtins/functions in current env

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Feature Request] do comsub with builtins/functions in current env
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:02:51 -0400

On 10/9/22 12:46 PM, Akbarkhon Variskhanov wrote:
I'd really like to see Bash not create a subshell for command
substitutions involving built-ins and functions.

This has come up before, and the consensus to this point is that the
ksh93 syntax is worth adopting. I haven't looked closely at implementing
it yet.

Consider this situation:
maxfd=$(ulimit -n)
or this:
default_umask=$(umask)
Bash forks a new process just for those two. That doesn't really make
sense to me. Create another process, exec() another instance of bash

That's not how it works. The fork, yes, but the forked child just runs the
command.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/