Re: why does </proc/self/environ not work in bash?

From: Zachary Santer
Subject: Re: why does </proc/self/environ not work in bash?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:15:33 -0500

On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 9:33 AM Chet Ramey <chet.ramey@case.edu> wrote:

> This sounds like another case of "I can't imagine it happening, so it must
> not be happening."

But we've not reached the point where this would be considered a bug,
because you know it was intentionally implemented this way?

Bash has behaved this way forever, and this isn't convincing enough to
> change that aspect of its behavior.

The behavior even differs between redirections from builtin commands vice
external commands. Without considering implementation details, it just
seems arbitrary.

Should
printf '%s\n' "whatever" > "$(( i++ ))-file.txt"
behave differently than
/usr/bin/printf '%s\n' "whatever" > "$(( i++ ))-file.txt"
?