Re: Build Issues

From: Kerin Millar
Subject: Re: Build Issues
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 14:34:53 +0000

On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 07:35:18 -0500
Zachary Santer <zsanter@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 9:31 PM jason stein <jstein916@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey Kerin,
> > Thanks for all the help  I was successful with the following.  There seems
> > to be a lot of patching going on to the repo prior to building.
> >
> > git clone "https://github.com/msys2/MSYS2-packages"; cd MSYS2-packages/bash
> > makepkg -sCLf
> >

> I'm curious if some of those patches are equally applicable to Bash in the
> more general case. Any more knowledgeable people want to take a look?

Though it is not for me to say, I briefly looked over them. My impression was
that some of what's in patches #0001 and #0002 might be suitable for
upstreaming. Bash already supports Cygwin and both of those patches render it
aware of MSYS2 (MSYS2 being a derivative of Cygwin). Patches #0005 and #0006
seem dubious, while #0007 purports to fix a static build issue (not sure about
that one). There seems to be little that would be of interest to users on other
platforms.

--
Kerin Millar