Re: Using emacs 'with-poll'

From: Jonathon McKitrick
Subject: Re: Using emacs 'with-poll'
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 13:49:05 +0000

On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 12:16:53PM +0200, Robert Pluim wrote:
: >>>>> On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 23:19:37 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick via Users list
for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> said:
:
:     Jonathon> I'm experimenting with the 'with-poll' branch of emacs 30 on an
M1 mbp.
:     Jonathon> Where is the discussion of this feature? Is it supposed to be a
'drop in'
:     Jonathon> replacement for poll() in emacs?
:
: It??s supposed to be a drop in replacement for 'select' to get around

Oops, typo, I meant 'select()' not 'poll()'.

: its 1024 open file descriptors limitation which can bite hard
: (especially on macOS).
:
:     Jonathon> I don't see a difference except when using CIDER and Clojure,
when I see
:     Jonathon> the connection seem to hang. I've emailed the original
contributor,
:     Jonathon> but haven't gotten a reply yet. Does anyone know about this
feature?
:
: I??m guessing CIDER uses subprocesses, which need some further work in
: the branch.

Yes, that makes sense.

:
: I??m rebasing the branch onto 'master' and testing it again. Ping me in
: a week (although here is not really the right list to talk about
: Emacs feature development, we have emacs-devel for that).

Will do. I've started a thread on emacs-devel.

Jonathon McKitrick
--
'My other computer is your Windows box.'