Using xref-find-definitions

From: Patrick Mahan
Subject: Using xref-find-definitions
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 11:38:18 -0700

I am running 25.2.2 on Ubuntu 18.04 release.

I am working on a large software project, with lots of subdirectories and
lots of files.  Originally, TAGS are built using the cascading makefiles
(one per directory) so you get a TAGS file in each directory and as you
move up the TAGS file also incorporates the ones below it (without the use
of the --include command).  In my emacs init file I have tags-table-list
set to the list of locations for the tag files -

(setq tags-table-list (list "./" "../"
                                      (concat (getenv "WORK") "/src/lib")
                                      (concat (getenv "WORK") "/src/bin")
                                      (concat (getenv "WORK")
"/src/include")
                                      (concat (getenv "WORK") "/src"))))

This has worked well for a while now using the older find-tags command.
But now that command is no longer supported and I need to use
xref-find-definitions.  Which works fine, for the most part, but
occasionally I run across the following issue -

An *xref* buffer appears with the following -
/home/pmahan/workspaces/myos/src/bin/mserv/appclass/my_ipserv.c
109: void flow_log(
/home/pmahan/workspaces/myos/src/bin/mserv/appclass/my_ipserv.c
109: void flow_log(

When I was using find-tag, it would give me the first hit, then I could do
CTRL-u M-. to go to the next entry.  I would not have this presented.  In
the new method, this is churning my buffer displays around which is
annoying, especially when the entry is in the same code module.

My current assumption is that this is due to all of the various TAGS files
that have duplicate entries.  Is it time to change how we generate TAGS?
Or can I configure xref-find-definitions to handle this situation.

Thanks,

Patrick