help-gnu-utils

tar hungs reading tape

From: manuel
Subject: tar hungs reading tape
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:01:16 +0100

Hi,

I try to make backups of our users home directories. It's a 4.7Gb backup.
tar writes the data to tape (/dev/nst0) ok, but when I try todo a tar tvf
/dev/nst0 it hungs on the last file (the bigger file). I rewind the tape before
trying to obtain the list.

Can I presume the backup is ok without being able to obtain the list?
How can I kill the tar process when it is hung? I need to do a reboot now, and I
must wait until all people goes home -- too late!

Thanks.

--
Manuel Cano
Dpto. Sistemas