Re: Escape code

From: Guy Harrison
Subject: Re: Escape code
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 22:00:48 GMT

Rai Hardeep S. wrote:

> In C++ programming using g++ on RedHat8:
>
> 1) The vertical tab "\v" produces "stair step" like output on screen,
> which it should. But diverting output to printer produces result in a
> line with "inverted ?" inplace of vertical tab. How to solve this.

locale?

> 2) What is the purpose of escape code "\?", when we can produce same
> result without "\".

Depends where you "pump" the output. Modern printers are often clueless on
such simple things as FF etc. Unfortunately you'll have to persue this in
another group as it isn't gnu related. Fwiw, I've an ancient dot matrix for
which a straight...

$ pr [options] > [port]

...will suffice. It'll be its 20th birthday soon - more than I can say for
me "more sophisticated" printers. :-|