Re: Escape code

From: Guy Harrison
Subject: Re: Escape code
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:59:01 GMT

Rai Hardeep S. wrote:

> On    Fri,    03    Sep    2004    22:00:48    GMT,    Guy    Harrison
> <swamp-DEL-dog@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Rai Hardeep S. wrote:
>>
>>> In C++ programming using g++ on RedHat8:
>>>
>>> 1)  The vertical  tab "\v"  produces  "stair step"  like output  on
>>> screen, which  it should. But diverting output  to printer produces
>>> result in a line with "inverted  ?" inplace of vertical tab. How to
>>> solve this.
>>
>> locale?
>
> It may  be. As I also  find many  console applications like  `mc' also
> causes problem with RH8 onward.
>
> May I know how it set it right.

I don't know. Simple answer is you need to find a printer-driver/terminal
that performs the correct translation. At this level you've a redhat
problem.

At compiler level, you'll have to run it by comp.lang.c. Even though
compilers have accepted \v for years it was based upon implementation, luck
and common sense: in my previous post I knew that printer was sat waiting
for ascii characters so I can redirect output to directly, unfiltered.

In or around c99 I believe \v (and I think \a) were formally adopted. \v may
have different or little meaning in some languages so there's a stronger
notion of internal compiler representation (where \v exists) against
external representation (what \v turns into when written to a file) in much
the same manner as \n translates differently across win32/unix/mac etc.